Wednesday, March 11, 2009

WebPage

A few years ago, my husband who has been working for IBM since 1981 donated much time and software on behalf of his company and created a great web site for a local parochial school that I was working for. We not only set up a web site, but a complete computer lab comprised of 30 computers networked together. This computer lab was also my math classroom where I taught math for grades 6, 7, and 8 and basic computer applications to the entire elementary school. In the math class, I had total access to the computers and was able to incorporate technology into my daily lesson plans whenever I wanted to. This allowed for much differentiated instruction in math class.

I was also the school's web site administrator and this was almost a full time job in itself. I had to make sure that all teachers' web pages never became stagnant and were all up to date as well as keeping school new up to date.

In class, tonight, Dr. Luongo had mentioned that parents will complain if information is not kept current and this is very - very true. I remember the web site was a big hit - it was the first time that this school had a web site and we kept a tally of the number of "hits" the website received daily and it was amazing. Parents and students alike canvased the website for information on sports, academics, news and notes, announcements, etc.

Now I work for a public school district and you are not at liberty to have a web page without consent of the district - there has to be conformity across the district and this is regulated by the technology district supervisor. Even so, creating this web page under the Scholastic utility was alot of fun. It was extremely user friendly and would benefit many of the students, parents, and teachers in our district. This is definetly a tool worth using and I will introduce it to our school's "computer teacher". Thanks to Dr. Luongo for letting us explore this utility!

2 comments:

  1. is it true that you really wont be able to utilize this in the public schools without district wide approval? that sucks! I was all fired up about putting up a site and all the good things i would be able to do with it and im not even a teacher! hopefully it will be a little more mainstream to have a teacher page by the time the certification comes through!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the use of the web page depends on your district and administration. Like I said last night, I suggest talking to your supervisor before allowing parents to access it (just in case!)

    Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete