Wednesday, February 18, 2009

NJ School Report Card

I have reviewed the NJ School Report Card - especially for the district I work in and the town that I live in. I was somewhat happy when I looked at the scores for the school I work for. Our scores for this particular school increased about 30% from NJASK7 to NJASK8. We all, as a team, worked very hard - the administration and supervisors make sure that our curriculum is ready to go - all on CD's that are distributed to every teacher in the district on Sept 1. This curriculum is aligned with our books and the NJCCCS. We have benchmark tests given each quarter to insure that we are all where we are supposed to be - all at the same time. There is direction and we all work to get our kids where they have to be and it is successful. At times, the amount of work is overwhelming. Teaching is not like work in a factory - where the number of items produced can indicate productivity, - your success, as a teacher, cannot be measured by what you are doing - it is measured by what others can do based on what you are doing.

Although I sometimes think, what is demanded of is us is overwhelming and impossible, I work harder, along with my students and coworkers, to meet the demands of the challenge.

2 comments:

  1. "Your success, as a teacher, cannot be measured by what you are doing - it is measured by what others can do based on what you are doing." That is so true. It is easy to get so consumed with the curriculum, and what needs to get done in time for the "Tests." We, as teachers, need to be mindful of what our students are learning and able to then do on their own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you took time to read this report.

    You explained, " Our scores for this particular school increased about 30% from NJASK7 to NJASK8."

    Wow!

    That is great. I can see all of your hard work is actually...working!

    Thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete