Saturday, February 21, 2009

Inspiration

I have downloaded both Kidspiration and Inspiration and have watched the videos. Although I do see how they both can be effective in the classroom , (especially Kidspiration for younger students where access to technology in terms of Smart Board, and computers are easily accessible and available to teachers and students), I do not think it would be a useful tool for me, my students and the curriculum that I have to teach. I do not have much to implement a plan for students to explore an discover. Forty minute periods with a very concentrated curriculum does not allow for that. WebQuest is a great tool for me to implement and use in the classroom - because the preparation is done by the teacher and complements the lesson. This allows the teacher to add the "extras" and expand the time used for subject matter as a project when class time does not allow for the extras. These tools are wonderful, but there are so many that one has to spend the time evaluating their effectiveness for the area, the students and the resources you have.

I do think that Kidspiration is more teacher and student friendly than Inspiration. The math portion, in Kidspiration, offers students some "hands on" practice with graphs and fractions. I may use this tool if I taught lower grades and had access to computers in the classroom as part of instruction. It would be more "fun" for the kids to use instead of manipulatives. I do not think that I would use Inspiration to support what I am teaching.

I am "sold" on WebQuest, but need to investigate Inspiration a little more - maybe I just don't know enough about it!

1 comment:

  1. I often used Kidspiration as a graphic organizer. We used it to create webs and used it to planning for writing.

    Although you may not be able to use Inspiration, I am glad you are getting to see it. It can't hurt to know what is out there!

    Thanks for your posting! As always, you got me thinking...

    ReplyDelete